Friday, February 11, 2011

All About Ava

I would just first like to say that I had every intention of writing this post last night after the birthday girl had gone to bed, but the day was much more emotionally taxing than I thought it would be, and after indulging myself with some spinach and artichoke pizza, I turned in early. I needed a little extra sleep anyway!!! So with that said...


HAPPY BIRTHDAY AVA!!!!
I can't believe that my sweet baby is now a big ONE YEAR OLD!! It really does seem like just yesterday that we were bringing her into this world- so excited and unsure of what we were doing as parents. Now I look back, and I just have to laugh at us with all of our uncertainties and worries! Last night, as I was rocking Ava and feeding her a bedtime bottle, I read her a couple of Bible stories (like every night) but then I decided to start a new tradition and tell her about her birth story. If you would like to read it, check out THIS post. I think that it is a cool tradition to start- telling my kids about the day that they entered this world- each year on their birthday.
Some things I remember about the week Ava was born...which isn't too much because I was SO tired!!!
  • I remember when we came home from the hospital, we just sat her (she was in her infant carrier/car seat) in the middle of the floor in the kitchen, and kind of looked at each other like "now what???" We didn't take her out I don't think until our parents all arrived. We were so scared!
  • That first night at home, she slept in her pack-n-play cradle. And every noise and grunt and squeak she would make (oh how I miss those newborn sounds!) Cole and I would both jump up and run over to her!!!
  • We were so thankful for double sinks in our master bath because for the first month, one of them was designated for washing my pump parts after each feeding (our little princess never would latch on, so I had to pump EVERY.SINGLE.FEEDING for 7 weeks...then after two rounds with double mastitis and some other issues, I broke down (literally too- I was inconsolable for a week) and gave up. We put her on formula, and we were BOTH happier for it!!!
  • I remember after my epidural was out (which was the afternoon after Ava was born) and my cath was out, the nurse asked me if I needed to use the bathroom. I told her I was okay. She said that I had to go before I could be released, so I jumped up and headed to go #1!!! HA! I thought she was telling me that I was going to be sent home as soon as I peed! Nope...it was still that next afternoon.
  • We bought our pump from the hospital lactation consultant. I didn't even think to buy a pump- our baby would just latch right on, right?! HA! SO glad that we did. Of course, Cole had to have the top of the line one. So we have a REALLY nice, only used for 7 weeks, pump for our next baby!
  • The dogs did really well with Ava. We sent a grandparent over with a baby blanket we had used in the hospital, so they could get used to her smell. We were told that Hugo got really attached to it...and he is still attached to her!

At Ava's birthday party, we are asking guests not to bring a toy for Ava, but if they want to do something, they can either bring a donation (small bow or toy) for Arkansas Children's Hospital, or they can simply make a donation in her honor to a favorite charity. She is so blessed and has so much already, and we really want her to be a blessing to others and to learn the idea of compassion and giving. So what a great way to start!!!

BUT... Mommy and Daddy just HAD to get their sweet girl some gifts for her real birthday!!! Here are some pictures from yesterday...she really enjoyed her new kitchen. The car and the ball pit might be enjoyed a little later... ;)




Don't you just love that little bum!?!?!?

She really loved her little kitchen toy! I can't wait until she is old enough (and we have room for) a big kitchen set!!! I loved mine as a kid, and I know she will too!!!

Her new thing is to stand up and play. She usually falls down pretty quickly, but it is so cute to see!!! I just love it!!!


My big girl!!!




Happy birthday, Sweet Ava!!!! Mommy and Daddy love you very much!!!!!



0 comments: