Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Color Quandary...

I am in the middle of a color quandary. I would first just like to say that I am usually not a wishy washy person when it comes to color. If you have seen pictures of my house, you know that I am not afraid of color. I like it, I use it, and I go for it. And I am spot on (for what I like) 99.9% of the time. Well, I have hit a 0.1% wall. A while back (over a year ago) I painted our guest room a gray color. And it was a miss, I think. A BIG FAT MISS. It came out looking like auto primer. And while I had hoped the tan carpet would just disappear, it is very glaring (again, to me). And while we are being flat out honest, the room is uber monotone, and needs some color. I love the bedding and really don't have a reason (or budget) to redo the whole room. So I have decided to paint. Again.

Here is pretty much how the room looks now. Note: You could still smell paint fumes when I took these pictures. And it still looks just like this, except now I have a chair in the corner. We don't use the room a lot! :)


See the GLARING tan carpet. GLARING. I think because it is the only color in here.

One wall is all doors- entry and closet.

Love this bed. It is an antique iron bed (aka HEAVY) and belonged to my great grandmother, then my grandmother. It is still technically my sister's, but I have had it longer than she did at this point, so I am claiming duel ownership!!! I tried adding some pops of lime in there, but it just wasn't enough.

I guess you could say I am a little "brush shy" this time around because I am painting over a bad color choice, and I don't have a lot of time to paint and repaint, so I want this to be the last time a paint roller touches these walls while "Brewer" is still on the door!!! ;)
I have about 6 color swatches painted up on the wall, but so far this is my favorite. It is Benjamin Moore "Azores." It is one of their Pottery Barn Spring colors. I love the swatch, don't you???



But once it goes on the wall, it is very...saturated. And bold. And while the room needs color, I am just not sure that it needs that much color. Like I said, I want this to be the last paint job in there, and I do NOT want to paint to sell. That is a big requirement for me. I will give a painting allowance if I just HAVE to, but I'll be darned if I am going to paint walls and not get to enjoy them!!! LOL!!!


SO I think we are going to make run #2 to Lowes in the morning (yes I know they don't carry Ben Moore paint, but they can look it up and do the same color in Valspar. Did you know that?!?! AWESOME!!!). I think I am going to get a sample of this pretty fella...Buxton Blue. It looks like (from the picture) that it goes on a little more muted than the Azores. Plus, if you look really close, in the sample picture for Buxton Blue, there is a picture of a baby and it says "Baby Ava 1 Year" Hello?!?!?!?! Oh my word!!!!! Perfect!!!!




In other news, I picked the invitations up, addressed the envelopes, and have them pretty much ready to go. All I need to do is stamp them. I bought regular stamps, but I am tempted to go to the post office and get some cute stamps. But then I am left with 60 regular stamps. That is a lot of bills!!! But they are forever stamps, so that is good. I don't know if I will have time. I am flirting with the idea of going to a fabric store here in Little Rock that is just fabulous and looking for some curtain panels or just some fabric to make cheat curtains for my dining room. The longer I live with those in there, the more I hate them. And I spend a lot of time in that room now because of Ava. So I don't know. I have three weeks give or take until the big day, and I suddenly want the house to be perfect!!!! :) Speaking of, I am going to go clean our bedroom and bathroom now! Toodles!!!
Oh, and PLEASE feel free to suggest a color to me! Advice is always welcome!!!























5 comments:

Shannon said...

Blues are hard aren't they! I think the second choice is really pretty but you might have the same problem as choice 1. I know I am no help! Haha Here is a GREAT blog that might help:
http://www.favoritepaintcolors.blogspot.com/

The Brewers said...

Thanks Shannon! Blues are hard. Our dining room is a color called Agean Teal, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is very deep and bold, but it works- maybe because it is only on the top of the chair rail. I don't know. Our guest bath is a color called Glass Tile. It is a bright pretty blue, but I think it would be too bright. This is just a hard room in general. I love the bedding, but the carpet is all wrong! I might just have to make do and try again in our next house. ;)

Jeff, Sarah, Lydia & Jack Henry said...

LOVE both of the colors, but I'm thinking the 2nd one is a better choice. I am wanting to paint our bedroom and that is exactly the color I had pictured in my head! May have to steal it from you! =)

Su said...

I need you to come decorate my house. Our whole house is 'flesh', the color we bought it. Except one wall in the kitchen, the one behind where my son eats. It's now maroon...a color good at hiding dirty hand prints. He likes to use the wall instead of a napkin. Same for the area under the bar cause of scuff marks from shoes of people sitting in the stools. I like color though and intend on eventually doing something more! That being said, I like both blues. Thanks for sending me your blog address. I have one too at www.mulhearnmania.blogspot.com. Oh, wait, it's private. The husband made me cause of all the kiddo pictures. I'll invite you if you want. email me at socrsu2@aol.com.

Betsey said...

Wow, that IS a great bed! And I love the bedding too. I am big into black & white. A lot of my walls are a light-ish blue (some Martha Stewart color, can't remember) with lots of black and/or white decorative items. Love that look.