Monday, September 19, 2011

Project: Dresser


div>So things have been a bit, um, stressful here at the Brewer house! We are having some issues with Ava that I don't really want to get into, but I would ask that you just keep us in your prayers as we try to figure out what is going on and how best to handle what we find.
So because of all of the happening, I haven't really updated. Sorry. But I have a fun project to share that will hopefully make up for it! Most of my friends know that when I get stressed, I tend to decorate as a means of coping with sed stress. Well this has been my stress relief for the month...

I found this handsome guy on Craigslist a few weeks ago. The lady that had it "upcycles" furniture, and had already done work on it. I loved the shape and size, but the style wasn't what I wanted. BUT, it is an antique (circa 1917 according to my research) and I knew I could make it what I wanted. Not to mention, I had been DYING to use some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and this was the perfect excuse!

I bought the dresser for my foyer. The foyer has 12' ceilings, and our little sofa table that was in the entry way was too short and too long and just not right in there. So I knew when we moved in I wanted something different.

And the result?

Pardon my photography skills! HA! I wish I could blame the camera, but it really is just me.

Another angle...

The paint is Annie Sloan Duck Egg blue chalk paint (which is a nice paint to work with, but I don't think it is as grand as everyone seems to think...not for 35$ a quart anyway). I stripped the top to reveal beautiful walnut and then stained it dark (it only took a couple of coats of stain & poly mix from Minwax to get that color. The wood is a beautiful dark walnut- how could anyone paint that?!?!) I then *painstakingly* painted the keyholes with oil rubbed bronze paint to make them stand out, and replaced the hardware. I had to fill in the holes on the bottom two drawers and re drill holes for the pulls. Not an easy task because my handy plastic hardware templates don't work with those pulls! Ah!
But he is done and proudly standing in my foyer. I just love it and honestly, I am really proud of myself for taking the time and doing it. I am usually not great with projects that take a lot of time, but this one paid off I think!

3 comments:

Cara Beth said...

OMG! I LOVE IT!

Been praying for you and lil Ava this week!

Cynthia said...

This looks just lovely. It looks fabulous now!

Rita Mireles said...

This is really beautiful. I haven't been able to use ann Sloans chalk paint yet but it's on my TO DO list for sure!!